Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:40 PM
Subject: New Member Wishing To Jump In

Hello, everyone:

I just subscribed to the list today, and I hope it's OK to take a moment to introduce myself to you, because I want very much to get more involved with the Gnopernicus project.  My name is Pete De Vasto.  I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA.  I learned about this list from Peter Korn, who I had met a couple of years ago at a conference held in March, 2001, where this project was "kicked off".  I then met him again during the first round of usability sessions that were held at Sun late last month.

I have been in Data Processing for just about thirty years, the last six involved with UNIX System Administration.  My last position was at a bay area biotech firm, and it was one of over 400 that were eliminated at the end of 2001 when the company reduced its work force and closed down some of its operations.  I have experience with RedHat Linux, as well as Solaris and several other platforms that may not be involved with Gnopernicus at this time.  In addition to taking my two Braille displays and two external speech synthesizers home with me, the company let me take my Compaq PC as well, but I've been having many software issues with the Windows '98 system that's currently running on it.  I have another windows-based PC now, so I am at a point where I'd simply like to completely wipe the hard drive on the Compaq and install a Linux system on it.  I'm in a position where I may be in line to get financial assistance to obtain Linux certification in hopes I can find a job, so a machine with Linux running on it makes quite a bit of sense.  I'm also thinking that perhaps I can try installing Gnopernicus on the new system to see if I can help you out testing it.

What I am about to ask is very basic at this point, so if answering these questions might clutter up the list too much, please e-mail me privately.  The first thing I would want to know is which flavor of Linux would be best for me to obtain.  I've seen others talking about running with RedHat 8.0, which suits me just fine because I'm already familiar with RedHat, even to the point where I had speakup and Brltty running on the system I had when I was working.  If anybody thinks there's a better Linux flavor for me to get, I'd rather know now before I have to repeat steps.

Thank you very much for listening, and I look forward to working and talking with all of you as time goes on.
--
Pete De Vasto
Phone: (650) 592-0832