Re: Compile errors (was Re: Accessibility of Gnome panel / How toend session via keyboard)

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 12:19, John Zitterkopf wrote:

> >> 1) Downloaded the source tar balls from
> >>
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.2/2.2.0/sources/gnome-panel-2.2.0.1.tar.gz
> >> 2) Untarred the source.
> >> 3) hacked around to get the .configure to work.
> >> a) IE installed a couple of packages that were missing
> >> b) Had to manually create dummy .pc files because for some reason my
> distro didn't have the pc files. (maybe this is the cause?)
>
> >This is certainly a bit suspect -- mostly because there is no way for
> >you to really know what should go into the pkg-config files. The .pc
> >files should come with the *-devel.rpm files for each of the packages
> >concerned. If you don't have a particular .pc file, then you are missing
> >a package. Mandrake is very good about packaging the right files, so you
> >should probably undo this step and try to find the right packages.
>
> That's just it... With Mandrake Linux 9.1; they didn't include -devel RPMs
> or Source RPMs on the three ISOs I downloaded.

The lack of source rpms is not too surprising -- they can take up a lot
of space. However, including something like libgnome and not
libgnome-devel is a bit surprising.

> I'm probably missing something; but I looked on all three CDs and couldn't
> find anything that looked like it had the sources on it. Which is
> surprising; because I'm sure Mandrake is required to distribute the sources
> as part of the CD per GPL licensing. I figure it's just a simple; "the
> sources are here" pointer.

They don't have to include them on the CDs. They just have to include an
offer to supply you with the source if you request it (which might be in
the README file on one of the CDs or something).

For most rpms, rpmfind.net is the way. But I had a quick look on
rpmfind.net and they do not seem to contain recent Mandrake rpms either,
so I am not sure whether they are not releasing them or rpmfind is
saving space or what.

> I spent 2 frustrating days trying to locate the source; before I gave up and
> downloaded the source from gnome.org. I searched various RPMs... tried doing
> google searches for a how-to newbie type guide to compiling gnome from
> mandrake cds... but came up empty.
>
> >If you can remember which files you needed to create, we can probably
> >work out what packages you need.
>
> Almost all of them. Here's a list of *.pc files I manually created:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          184 Jul  2 07:34 libbonoboui-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          178 Jul  2 07:32 libglade-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          197 Jul  2 07:30
> gnome-vfs-module-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          183 Jul  2 07:29 gnome-vfs-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          190 Jul  2 07:27 gnome-desktop-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          178 Jul  2 07:25 libwnck-1.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          182 Jul  2 07:23 libgnomeui-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          180 Jul  2 07:21 libgnome-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          173 Jul  2 07:16 gtk+-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          216 Jul  2 07:13 gdk-pixbuf-2.0.pc
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          249 Jul  2 06:57 ORBit-2.0.pc

These are almost all in the appropriate *-devel packages, so try to find
those.

> >> 4) ./configure ran with no errors.
> >> 5) did a make.

> >> I haven't tried compiling the rest of the source... just gnome panel
> source.
> >>
> >> I tried downloading the distributions source with the same results.
> >>
> >> Mandrake Linux 9.1 is my distribution of choice.
> >
> >Generally a very safe choice for building GNOME stuff. Mandrake's GNOME
> >maintainer (Frederic Crozat) is very knowledgeable.
>
> For whatever reason; this version of MLinux9.1 is not as friendly as past
> versions... at least I haven't been able to locate the sources like I
> expected I would be able to do.
> I guess in the past; I've just downloaded the files from the internet (like
> postfix, bind9, ect) and compiled them with no issues. Kernel compiling also
> came easy for me. But Gnome seems to be more difficult or maybe I'm just
> missing something simple. It's probably just "user error".

Not having used Mandrake, I cannot comment on this, except to say that
Mandrake have been leading the pack on GNOME 2 support since the very
early days. We also do not see a lot of complaints from Mandrake users
when they are compiling stuff, so it appears that once you have the
appropriate packages installed, it should all Just Work.

However, that is not to say that finding the appropriate pre-requisites
is trivial. I just had a quick poke around the MandrakeSoft site and I
couldn't find everything I was looking for -- but that is possibly
because I am not familiar with their layout.

You clearly know what you are doing here, so I'm sure it will sort
itself out with a bit of persistence. Given that the errors you were
seeing were in the construction of the command line and those things
*can* come from *.pc files, I would still be suspicious of your manually
created files. I can really do no more than offer encouragement at this
point.

Malcolm