Re: [Bayonne-desktop] Re: GNOME "Telephony Application Programming Services" Proposed

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 11:29, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 21:55, David Sugar wrote:
> > In GNU Bayonne, all we assume the tts system can do is be given text to
> > sythensize along with properties (pitch, voice, etc), and an output filename
> > for the tts system to create synthesized audio into.
>
> 	Currently gnome-speech outputs only directly to the sound card, but
> that can/could be made to be a stream I suppose for some backends.

I am pretty sure at least one driver for a streaming backend has been
built already.  It's fairly easy to tweak some of the existing drivers
to use a streaming backend rather than "/dev/audio", but so far I think
performance has been a little better with direct-to-audio.  My point
being that this is not just theoretically possible, I am pretty sure
it's been done a couple of times already with gnome-speech.  And of
course gnome-speech doesn't know or care what hardware backend your copy
of festival (for instance) is using...

Somebody wrote a gnome-speech driver for a hardware synth too, dunno if
that patch is floating around the aether or not.

-Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>