Re: Gnopernicus CVS and Debian

"Nolan J. Darilek" <nolan thewordnerd info> writes:

> I'm running debian testing/mostly unstable, but as gnopernicus is a
> quickly moving target, I typically install it from CVS whenever
> something interesting appears. Debian's packages are falling a bit
> behind it seems,

To explain this, I have packages for 0.3.6 ready, however, due
to some bug in at-spi which is only triggered since gnopernicus 0.3.5,
srcore segfaults.  So I did not upload the new
gnopernicus 0.3.6 packages, for obvious reasons.

> and I'm thinking about tracking other packages in cvs and installing
> them as well. I had some questions, though.
>
> There are lots of heavy interdependencies within the gnome modules, it
> seems. If I install a new version of atk/gail, for instance, my
> current gtk-config will still point to my old install, right?

You probably ment pkg-config?
Note that by default, installing from sources installs stuff
into /usr/local/.  However, if you install from Debian packages,
the prefix is /usr.  So you might want to adjust
some PATH stuff, or trick pkg-config into giving you the .pc files
from /usr/local.

> Is there any way to fix this? Or are the dpendencies such that I'd
> need to install everything from source or everything using dpkg, but
> I can't mix the two?

If you know what you are doing, you certainly can mix the two.

> Does this hold true with gnome-speech as well?  Debian seems to
> still be stuck on 0.23; can I just drop 0.24 in and expect it to
> work without building a fresh gtk?

To explain, debian is "stuck" with 0.2.3 because
Gnopernicus 0.3.4 depends on that version.  I can not upload
gnome-speech 0.2.4 or above into the archives because that
would make gnopernicus 0.3.4 uninstallable.  However, I have
ready-made gnome-speech packages here, and could provide them
to you if you need them.

> Also, I'm getting the following error upon startup of gnopernicus:
> (gnopernicus.bin:2268): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:1082: unable to lookup signal "link-selected" for non instantiatable type `AtkHypertext'
>
> ** (gnopernicus.bin:2268): WARNING **: Invalid signal type link-selected
>
> I'm assuming this coincides with the mozilla link additions noted in
> the changelog?

No, those warnings were already appearing in 0.3.4 and even below
I think.  Actually those are reported because the version
of ATK in debian is not very new.  There is a wishlist bug
against atk if you want to read up on this issue.

> Will upgrading my atk fix this?

Yes, but then, you'll have to upgrade at-spi and gail too.

--
CYa,