Re: Intro and gnopernicus question

Willem,

I have seen almost these exact problems. I also heard the same "welcome to gnopernicus" speech in superfast mode that you did. And when I tried to configure the voices in Gnopernicus, they all sounded the same no matter what I adjusted the rate/pitch to. I found out that the integrated SiS audio chipset that I was using caused this. I had to go out and buy a decent multi-channel PCI sound card to fix the problem. I disabled the on-board audio in the bios (you will probably need the help of a sighted person for this step), installed the new card (sound blaster Live), and configured it through kudzu when I rebooted the system.

Once I got all of this done, though, I was still unable to get gnopernicus to read the screen. All I could hear was the voice configuration menu. Here is a copy of the help I got thru this site (don't know if it actually works as I have had no spare time to try it out).

Help starts here:
"I have been working to make it possible to navigate the gdm2 login screen.
However, the work is not completely done, and may not be usable for your
particular situation.

To use the work-in-progress, you need to use gdm2 release 2.4.2.100,
which is very recent.  You will notice that this version of gdm2
supports the AddGtkModules and the GtkModulesList settings.  By turning
on the gesture listeners you can cause certain applications (such as
Gnopernicus, Gok, etc) to be launched when a gesture (such as a certain
hotkey combination) is pressed.  Note that the gesture listeners only
work with the "Standard Greeter" and not the "Graphical Greeter".

The main problem is that the "light window manager" that runs with the
"Standard Greeter" is missing some needed functionality that would get
in the way of running various AT programs that have GUI's.  For example,
the light window manager does not support switching window focus via
keyboard navigation.  Also, the light window manager doesn't support
window move/resize, which might also be a problem in certain situations.

Lastly, the various AT programs might require some enhancements in
order to be usefully launched at login time.  Since the gesture
listener mechanism launches the AT programs via a command, it would
obviously be useful if the AT program allowed you to launch it in
the appropriate mode with command line arguments (rather than having
to go into the configuration and setting preferences).  However, some
AT programs may not allow themselves to be launched via a command
line in this way.

Anyway, you can play with this by following these instructions (assuming
you have gdm2 release 2.4.2.100 installed and running on your system):

Note gdm_sysconfdir = gdm_install_dir/etc.

To enable accessibility:

+  Edit (gdm_sysconfdir)/gdm/gdm.conf

  Set the key "AddGtkModules" to "True"
  Set the GtkModulesList to include all the accessibility GTK_MODULES
  that should be launched (it should already be set to the following
  by default so you should not have to change it):

  GtkModulesList=gail:atk-bridge:dwellmouselistener:keymouselistener

  Note that if you have your gtk-modules installed to a nonstandard
  location (somewhere other than /lib, for example), then you may need
  to specify the full path of the library in the GtkModulesList.  In
  other words, it might need to be specified like this:

  GtkModulesList=/opt/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libkeymouselistener.so:...

+  The gesture listener configurations files need to be edited to
  define the gestures that will be listened to :

  (gdm_sysconfdir)/gdm/modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents
  (gdm_sysconfdir)/gdm/modules/AccessDwellMouseEvents

  Both files includesextensive comments describing how to set up

+  Now, you should restart gdm2 by running sbin/gdm-restart, and
  when you enter the gesture, the AT program should properly
  start.

Let me know if you need any further information.
Brian"
Help ends here:

"You have dishonored our national fish! Die Infidel!  Die!"

<b>MSN 8:</b> Get 6 months for $9.95/month. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup