Re: new ORBit2 working

Hi Jacob,

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 15:45, Jacob Schmude wrote:
> Just wanted to say that the new orbit2, which I've just checked out from
> CVS, is working here. It did solve the threads problem. It also solved
> another problem--the one concerning my dectalk software. I don't know how
> or why, but after I built and installed the new orbit2, gnome-speech was
> suddenly able to communicate with my dectalk rt. Not that I have a problem
> with that, but could someone please explain why? I'm rather curious about
> this one.

	a) gconf was not initializing the ORB with thread safety, when it got
re-initialized problems occured.

	b) we were assuming that g_try_lock would always work; however on some
platforms if you don't link your app with -lthread, all your mutex
functions become noops - and behave inconsistantly across platforms.
Most plain gtk+ apps build without -lthread so - they were all dying.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot