O/T (sort-of): Display issues in GNOME?

Howdy y'all,

OK...I'm gonna stop beating up on trying to get gnopernicus running
for the time being (simply 'cause I don't know what I'm doing...LOL)

But this question's for my lovely wife, who's very frustrated at the
moment.

I expect she'll want to use larger fonts and that, at some point. At
the moment she's only got a 15" display--yes, upgrading that is on the
list--and that may be part of where our problem is. Funny thing is, we
managed to get this thing under control and now it's back to haunt
us. ... Here's the deal. On Mozilla's Email (to name one place--there
are undoubtedly outhers), as she describes it, the window is bigger
than her screen. Which is to say, the buttons at the bottom of the
window aren't visible to her, she can't move the window to get at
them, and is, therefore, effectively stuck. And I'm virtually
useless. The problem is very likely not that the monitor's not
adjusted properly (nothing appears too far off to one side or the
other or anything like that). I'm guessing video resolution, maybe,
but that's only a guess. If we can tackle this, we can then go on to
other useful things...like getting mozilla's download manager to be
happy with mailcap and things like that...but we need to fix this one
first. Any words of wisdom from anyone?
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3   | "And if the ground yawned,
Phone: (814) 455-7333     | I'd step to the side and say,