Re: [Kde-accessibility] Proklam and KMouth

Hi Bill, hi Pupeno, hi Peter,

Bill, thank you very much for your additional information about
gnome-speech and GAP. From reading the GAP website and the archives of
kde-accesibility, I understand that there have already been a lot of
thoughts how to make GAP toolkit independent. I appreciate this very
much.

The problem is just that both Pupeno, Gunnar and me are really new to KDE
programming. We do not know which concepts have been discussed before,
and we do not have any experience with accessibility programming.

We do all of this as a fun project and we have limited time and knowledge
of all this. We do not have the time and resources to make KDE completely
GAP compatible, all we can do is make sure that some partial support for
GAP opens the door for further development.

KMouth is a really new and small program. At the moment, we support
neither Proklam nor gnome-speech, and of course we would prefer to only
have to support one API, which is a standard for all Linux.

We are in a difficult situation at the moment. We would like to encourage
Pupeno by supporting his Proklam project, as he is one of too few KDE
developers dealing with accessibility issues. But we also do not want to
to brake an evolving standard for accessibility technology on Linux.

Peter, I am very thankful that you pointed us to this problem, for it
probably would have been very difficult to change the road later.

Pupeno, since you already did a lot of work on Proklam, it is very
important to me that your work can be used by as many people and
applications as possible. You once wrote that you have a dream that
Proklam can be used not only by KDE programs but also by all kinds of
other Linux programs. I understand that this can be achieved by making
Proklam a GAP speech backend. This would make sure that we do not brake
any evolving accessibility standard, and all Linux programs (including
GNOME ones) could make use of your graphically configured tts system.

There are basically three options to achive it:
1. Use the GNU Accessibility Framework for all communication between
Proklam itself and Proklam clients. This would require heavy changes to
Proklam, but it would be the start of a wonderful cooperation between KDE
and GNOME accessibility technologies. As KDE goes beyond Linux (e.g. BSD,
Mac OS X, Solaris, etc.), it is an important question whether the GNU
Accessibility Framework is Linux-specific.

2. If the first option is not possible or too much work for the beginning,
we could write an extended Proklam-support-library that also tests for
GAP support. If GAP technology is installed, then gnome-speech is used,
otherwise only Proklam can be used. This library could be used as a
general Proklam-GAP client bridge.

If Pupeno makes sure that there is a second bridge for Proklam acting as a
GAP speech backend, then the whole communication between Proklam and the
KDE programs could be done via the GNU Accessibility IPC, if GAP
technology is installed.

Both approacheas also only make sense if all functions of the Proklam
protocol are available in the GAP IPC:
a) Can a program specify the language of a spoken message?
b) Is it possible to differentiate between short error alerts, short
messages and long texts? (Long texts are parsed by Proklam and broken
into sentences. Between two sentences, important error alerts and
messages can be spoken.)

3. If both is not possible, then we could use an architechture similar to
the second approach, except that both bridges are part of Proklam itself.
One bridge would allow Proklam to use gnome-speech, and the other would
make Proklam a gnome-speech backend.

Which of these options is the best?
This also depends on which approach is used for the other parts of the
GAP, as Bill has explained:

> * ATK support could be integrated into KDE/Qt, and the bridging/IPC
> technologies in AT-SPI's current implementation could be reused.  This
> is by far the easiest approach, and gives the best code reuse, but would
> require that KDE link to glib and libatk (but no other 'GNOME'
> libraries).  (glib and atk are LGPL)
>
> * alternatively, KDE could use a QT/KDE-specific APIs internally and
> bridge them to AT-SPI (in the way that Java applications bridge their
> 'Java Accessibility API' to AT-SPI in our current code).  This is a lot
> more work, and less code reuse, but moves the dependency from atk+glib
> to an IDL layer.  Again, it would be best to implement this IDL in
> CORBA, for complete binary compatibility, but a comparable IPC
> technology could be substituted at the expense of writing yet another
> bridge from this layer to CORBA.

Note that even if my third approach is neccessary for Proklam, both of
Bill's approaches be used for AT-SPI.

It might be neccessary to discuss this issue with some KDE core
developers, so that we do not start implementing something which later
shows to be the wrong approach. (This mainly refers top my first
approach.)

Pupeno, you must be frustrated to see so many questions to the details of
the Proklam project, but remember that nothing of your work is lost by
writing a bridge that allows Proklam to function as a GAP speech backend.
I think that even if supporting the GAP is the togher way for now, it
could be the beginning of a wonderful cooperation of all Linux
accessibility projects. (Pupeno, think of the nice headlines! I will make
sure of those.)

KMouth will definately support both gnome-speech and Proklam. We would of
course prefer a gereral solution within Proklam, upon which only Pupeno
can decide. In the worst case, KMouth would need its own GAP support
library, which can be used to be a general Proklam-GAP client for other
programs as well.
But I hope that Pupeno will find a way to cooperate with the GNU
Accessibility Framework without doing too many changes.

Olaf.

--
Meine Internetseiten:
http://www.GebetGenerator.de, http://www.amen-online.de