Re: Error compiling gnome-speech : Java support missing !

Hi Nath, all,

See my comments below.

On Thursday 31 October 2002 12:28, Nath wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I come back to see you : I didn't forget GAP and all of you !
> In order to build the last gnopernicus which is on cvs, I built gnome 2.1
> using garnome 0.18.3 : I hope gnopernicus will build with gnome 2.1. But
> just before building gnopernicus I try to build gnome-speech . But it seems
> that gnome-speech now needs java support in order to build ?  the build
> process fails indicating the following error :
> no : Command not found . My question now : What do I need to install solve
> this problem ?
> Thanks a lot for your help.

If you look at the messages that autogen.sh gives you, near the end you will
probably get:

checking for eciNew in -libmeci50... yes
checking for java... java
checking for javac... javac
checking for idlj... no

THE PROBLEM is that there is NO "idlj" in your PATH and probably neither in
your system.

When you run the make, indeed, you will get the message:
make[2]: no: Command not found
make[2]: *** [org/GNOME/Speech/*.java] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/adi/2DO/temp/gnome-speech/java'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/adi/2DO/temp/gnome-speech'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

If so, you have to install java (I suggest J2SE 1.4.1) in order to have java,
javac and idlj binaries needed for compiling the gnome-speech that is in the
CVS.
Here is the link you may use:

	http://java.sun.com/j2se/downloads.html

Note : I suggest you to download the self-extracting files. (they are very
easy to use, you just have to execute them (Be sure that you have rights to
execute them ;-) -> chmod a+x file_name))

After installing it be sure that you add in your PATH environment variable
the absolut path where those binaries were installed.

eg for bash: $ export PATH=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_01/bin:$PATH

Maybe it would a good ideea to add this to your go_gnome script (if you are
using it to set your environment) or other script.

HTH && Best Regards,
Adi Dascal
BAUM Engineering