Re: everything installed but no speech

Hi Nath,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Nath wrote:

> I suggest you to modify your .xinitrc file as follow :
>
> festival --server &
> sawfish &
> gnome-terminal &
> gnome-session &
> exec gnopernicus
>
> I think the "exec" line must be the last line in the file because it means
> that after running the app following the "exec" word, all is finished. Then
> when you will exit gnopernicus all the things will be terminated.

I made that change, but the result was the same. I have identical
output from the startx script except for process ID numbers.

I wonder if there may be conflicts due to my present screen
access method, which is to use the speakup kernel patches with an
external hardware synthesizer. I notice that once I run startx,
the keypad remains in control of the speakup system. I can move
the speakup review cursor up and down but not left or right, and
it will let me check cursor position and speak the character
under the cursor (always "white space" ascii 255). This surprises
me.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck