Re: BRLTTY.

[quoted lines by Bill Haneman on November 14, 2002, at 17:36]

>This is an appropriate list, also for more technical discussions I would
>recommend "gnome-accessibility-devel"
>http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-accessibility-devel

Thanks. I'll subscribe to that one too.

>This sounds like a great idea: also John Boyer is interested in
>supporting braille-lite in gnopernicus.  If braille-lite already has
>brltty support, perhaps it would make sense to combine forces to provide
>a brltty driver for gnopernicus.

Yes, BRLTTY does already support the BrailleLite. Building a bridge between our
two projects (probably just a driver at each end which know how to communicate
with one another) really should be of great benefit to both sets of users.

>Long-term I think providing "gnome-braille", a braille service API that
>would meet the needs of gnopernicus and also be available for use by
>other clients (and allow, for instance, shared access to braille
>devices) is an idea with merit.

BRLTTY, perhaps with an extra layer on top of it, could easily become that.
Please don't hesitate to let me know what Gnopernicus's needs would be in this
area. I don't think that such a facility should be tied to Gnome itself as that
might make it unavailable to text-only users, especially if they don't even
have X and friends installed.

>Resources probably don't allow the core
>GAP and gnopernicus developers to devote time to this at the moment but
>it's not too soon to discuss the big picture.

If we can augment BRLTTY to meet Gnopernicus's needs, that might be one way to
alleviate most of the burden from yourselves.

EMail: dave mielke cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com