Re: Festival server

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 16:39, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> Frankly, I'm quite frustrated. I know this is the testing stage, but there ought
> to be ways to install this system reliably and track down errors instead of this
> weird hit-and-miss trial of stuff!!!...

Hi Cheryl:

I understand your frustration.  There are lots of developers on this
list (though you might fare better with
gnome-accessibility-devel gnome org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-accessibility-devel).  This
latter is more-or-less a hardcore hackers list.
But the developers on gnome-accessibility-list are extremely busy fixing
critical bugs at the moment, and it's very hard (as you are finding) to
diagnose build and configuration problems remotely.

I think there is a misunderstanding; though we welcome bleeding-edge
"testers", gnopernicus and gnome-speech are not in "Testing Phase" yet,
they are not even at Alpha release level!  I agree that things aren't
ready for end-users yet.  Remember that many of the bits in gnome-speech
and gnopernicus are only hours old when you get them :-)

So perhaps it would be better for you to wait a week or two while
gnome-speech (which has recently undergone major revisions) stabilizes,
and then I think you will have a smoother experience.  But a painless
install is difficult until these packages and tools are included in the
"standard" developer distributions (Mandrake cooker, RedHat rawhide, etc
- I think Ximian already includes most of these packages), doing it from
CVS is nontrivial.

THanks for your patience - we do care, and are working to get you your
GUI as soon as possible :-)

regards,

Bill Haneman

Architect, GNOME Accessibility