Re: Problem when launching Gnopernicus

Hi Nath,

> Always me and my questions !
> This evening I finally heard "Welcome to gnopernicus" but after those
> words nothing else. when I press the arrow keys Gnopernicus doesn't
> speak. On my system I have both festival and viaVoice installed. can
> this be a problem ?
> when Gnopernicus launches both drivers are initialised successfully and I
> can see the two processes when typing "ps -e". Perhaps it causes
> conflicts ? How to do to have only one speech synthetiser launched ?
> If you think the problem isn't caused by the two synthetisers loaded at
> the same time I will send you the log file produced when I run metacity +
> gnopernicus + gnome-session because I noticed errors but can't correct
> these myself.
> Thanks in advance for your help !

It may be that the accessibility machinery isn't turned on.  In order to not
impact the RAM size and minimize any performance hit (however slight), much
of the accessibility API implementation is done in optionally loaded
libraries, which by default aren't loaded.

There is a gconf key that must be set - the
'/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility' key.  I've attached a shell script
which you can use to turn it on and off (and verify it's state).  To check
the value of the variable, run it with no arguments: "gnome-accessibility".
To turn the machinery on: "gnome-accessibility on", and to turn it off:
"gnome-accessibility off".

Let us know if this was what it was.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team
#!/bin/sh

if test $# -eq 0
	then gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
fi

if test $# -eq 1
	then if test $1 = on -o $1 = true
		then gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
		                 -t bool true
	elif test $1 = off -o $1 = false
		then gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
		                 -t bool false
	else echo gnome-accessibility: unknown command $1
	fi
fi