Re: still have java problem in installing gnome-speech

Not at all essential. I was following a suggestion made by an
earlier poster on the subject. The important thing is that
wherever it is installed, the path to the 'bin' directory be
added to your system's execution path. For a time I had both the
j2sdk and the j2re packages under that /usr/java directory, but
having deleted j2re, the only thing there is j2sdk.

Chuck