gnome-speech and java

I just installed gnome 2.1 with the garnome 0.18.3 script on my
Slackware 8.1 system, and when compiling the latest gnome-speech
from the cvs server, I got the error message about java being
missing.

However I had already installed the j2re package, version 1.4.0,
and "which java" shows me that it can be found on the execution
path. Examining my $PATH variable confirms that the directory
containing "java" is listed there.

What can I do next? Why cannot gnome-speech find it?

Thanks for any help -- I am so close I can taste it!

Chuck

So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck