getting started

Hi.  I am interested in getting started with the accessability tools
-- I know things are in an early stage, but I can test and maybe work
on synth drivers or who knows.

I have downloaded atk-1.0.1 and I am trying to build the gnome-2.0
environment as a separate environment (is this the correct thing to
do?)

Any information would be appreciated on what I must do to get this
going.

I am using kernel 2.4.18-pre7 if that makes any difference and I have
gnome sort of working in the regular release, although I am not using
it much.