Re: KEYNAV: Buttons (bug 53577) and Accessibility

> Padraig O'Briain wrote:
> >
> > A toggle, check or radio button should not be activated if keyboard focus
> > is given to it by using a mnemonic that is shared by another control in the
> > same context.  In this case, keyboard focus should be given to that button,
> > at which point:
> >
> > - pressing the same mnemonic again should cycles focus to the next control
> > in the context that shares the same mnemonic;
>
> > <POB> This deals with the case where two controls have the same mnemonic.
> > Can we regard this as a corner case and therefore of lower priority? </POB>
>
> I guess so, but it needs fixing sometime-- currently if two controls
> share the same mnemonic, there's no way to tell which one will be
> activated when you press Alt+that letter, and no way to activate the
> other apart from tabbing to it.  (This also needs to work in menus etc.)

I have looked more closely at this and found that it works correctly. Well,
almost correctly as the focus is first given to the last control which has the
mnemomic and then to the previous control. It is a one line change to
gtkwindow.c to change this to give the focus first to the first control which
has the mnemonic and then cycle through in the expected order.

> > When any button within a functional group of check buttons has focus:
> >
> > - pressing Tab should move focus to the next button in that group, or to
> > the control immediately after the last button in that group if it is the
> > last button that is currently focused.
> >
> > - pressing Shift+Tab should move focus to the previous button in that
> > group, or to the control immediately before the first button in that group
> > if it is the first button that is currently focused.
> >
> > <POB> This works but cycles around. </POB>.
>
> I think we decided that focus generally shouldn't wrap around
> self-contained groups of things (as it can be hard for a blind person to
> tell when the wrapping around has happened), so this should probably be
> fixed.

I am confused here. Owen's comment in the bug suggest use of up/down arrows
(left/right also?) to navigate between radio buttons in a radio button group.
I assume that use of the arrows should not cycle.

Padraig