Re: some minor issues ...

Hi Michael (and Padraig):

Thanks for the patch.  I have some issues with the gail patch in
particular - I don't think it should be committed as-is.  However thanks
for catching a number of issues and improving the 'const' string
returns, etc.

I will just mention (to the list) that we use a number of 'extensible
enums' and so we do not want to assert that the 'default' case in many
of the switch statements will not be reached - it may be reached when an
extended value is set or queried, and we don't want to fail outright
when we are trying to be 'forward compatible'.

I will contact you two offlist with details.

-Bill