Re: Getting/Setting text attributes for a GtkEntry

Hi All,

To play devil's advocate (no horns yet I hope), when you ask text for its attributes in most screen readers, or in Emacspeak, you get something back. It is never the case that you ask text for its attributes and get nothing since all text does have some basic attributes (size, color, etc). Does Pango not provide this info for us in the case of GtkEntry?

Marc

At 05:34 PM 5/30/2001 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
Peter Korn wrote:

> Hi Oisin Boydell,
>
> > The GtkEntry object does not support text attributes so the
> > atk_text_ref_run_attributes() function will return NULL (which indicates no
> > attributes set) when called on a GtkEntry.
> > A GtkEntry is editable but since it does not support text attributes a call to
> > atk_editable_text_set_run_attributes() will return failure.
>
> It is still interesting to know what the attributes are for the entire GtkEntry > widget. They will be set at the system level, but there are settings there to > discover. Why not return some special constants to indicate that the run is the
> entire widget?

It is trivial to return a textrun that encompasses the whole widget.
However it is not straightforward to return "attributes" over that
run, since technically there are none!

I am not sure there is useful information to be gleaned here, and
would prefer not polluting the attribute sets with lots of "default"
stuff.  Attributes are most interesting when they are
additions/modifications to the default case.

-Bill