Re: GailCList

> Subject: Re: GailCList
> To: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org, Padraig Obriain Sun COM
> Content-MD5: JZs0nPliXf7u8OhDNoGN7A==
>

> >Role
> >====
> >The role proposed for GailCList is ATK_ROLE_LIST. A GtkCList is described
> >as a multi-columned scrolling list.
> >
> >The number of columns in a GtkCList is specified when the GtkCList is
> >created.  Should the role of a GailCList depend on the number of columns
> >in the corresponding GtkCList? For example, should the role be
> >ATK_ROLE_TABLE, even if the number of colums is 1 or should we define a
> >new role to indicate that the columns are not selectable?
>
> Perhaps we should keep ATK_ROLE_LIST for all CLISTS, even those that are
> multi-column (since as you note they have some limitations regarding
> selection).
>
> >Accessible Children
> >===================
> >It is proposed to expose flyweight accessible objects as children. I assume
> >that these flywweights correspond to each cell. The accessible objects
> >corresponding to the cells can be obtained using AtkTable interface.
> >
> >GtkCList derives from GtkContainer but as far as I can see a GtkCList
> >never has children.
> >
> >It should be possible to expose the accessible objects corresponding to the
> >cells as children.
>
> This sounds right to me.
>
> >AtkSelection
> >============
> >It is proposed that GailCList implement the AtkSelection interface.
> >
> >This interface implements selection of children which means that whatever
> >we select must be represented as children of GailCList.
> >
> >As far as I can see a GtkCList can only be selected by row, i.e. individual
> >cells cannot be selected.

This is not true. The children of GtkCList are the button widgets used for the
column headers.

> >I would suggest that AtkSelection work for GailCList only when there is
> >one column, i.e. selection of individual cells is possible.
>
> I think that would obscure part of GtkCList's functionality - why not continue
> to support AtkSelection, so that all cells in a selected row are returned as
> "selections" ?

A row can be selected using AtkTable. If we propose to expose accessible objects
associated with individual cells as children I do not think that we should
implement AtkSelection unless the individual cells can be selected. This, for
what it is worth, is what Java does.