Re: Porting apps.

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 2001-12-23 at 19:32, Thomas Ward wrote:
> I've got some inhouse apps I had originally wrote for MS Windows, but want
> to rewrite for the Gnome 2 desktop. What libs, sdk's, etc do I need to
> insure that my finish product will be accessible with Gnompernicus?

	I'm afraid that the best solutionfor accessibility for your
applications, involves re-writing them; re-targeting for Gnome 2.0. I
would reccommend using raw C for any GUI portion - and attempt to split
out the GUI code from the core so the core can be shared C++ (?) with
the win32 version. Another alternative might be using Gtk+ under
windows.

> Second question is it going to matter which language I use. I've thought
> about Java or C++, but am deciding which will be the better language. I know
> under MS Windows in the past Java apps were vary hard to use until the
> access bridge came out.

	I would strongly reccommend using C (or C++) with the Gnome libraries,
since they are implemented in C, and bindings to other languages (for
Gnome 2.0) are very much work in progress.

	I'd be interested in more details though - since it's hard to
reccommend based on no knowledge of the project. How many thousand lines
of code ? how many dialogs ? what languages are the apps written in
currently ?

	Regards,

		Michael.