Re: Porting apps.

Hi Thomas,

At 02:32 PM 12/23/2001 -0500, Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi, list. I've got some rather basic questions here on what I need to make
any applications accessible under the Gnome 2 desktop.

I've got some inhouse apps I had originally wrote for MS Windows, but want
to rewrite for the Gnome 2 desktop. What libs, sdk's, etc do I need to
insure that my finish product will be accessible with Gnompernicus?
Yay, this is great news. Actually there are several answers to your questions. If your application uses standard GTK+ widgets, then very little if any work should be needed to make it accessible. If you have any custom widgets, then you will have to implement ATK, the library which defines the in-process accessibility API for GNOME. Currently, there are not c++ bindings for ATK, although writing them has been discussed.

Another option would be to use Glade to define your interfaces. Libglade, which loads the Glade XML definition of an applications interface and generates the interface at runtime has accessibility support built-in.

To you second question about Java, Java Swing applications will be accessible on the GNOME desktop. There will be the equivillent of the Java access bridge for GNOME.

Hope these answers were helpful. Great to hear you are porting applications to GNOME and that you are interested in accessibility!

Happy Holidays!

Marc