Re: Object referencing in ATK

>I don't think this is safe.  With the latency involved in the multiple layers
>between GTK+ and the AT SPI to the AT itself, I don't think we can insist that
>this be a synchronous operation.

I don't think Padraig was talking about the AT case so much as what happens in
the bridge/implementation layers.

We may find that for other technical reasons certain event notifications have to
be synchronous.  I know, this is suboptimal... but we shall see.

<snip>

>> If we do I propose to add a state ATK_STATE_DESTROYED to AtkState.
>
>I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to change the meaning (and name) of the
>TRANSIENT state to something like ATK_STATE_DISASSIOCIATED - to cover the more
>general case that this AtkObject is not associated with an underlying Widget
>(Gtk or otherwise).

I think that there are two different cases under discussion here - a flyweight
that doesn't have a widget, and a widget-Atkobject whose widget has been
destroyed.  We should keep these two cases distinct in the API, I think.

so we should keep ATK_STATE_TRANSIENT as well as ATK_STATE_DESTROYED or whatever
we call it.  I personally prefer ATK_STATE_DEFUNCT since it conveys the idea that
the object is still around (not yet destroyed) but should not be relied on to be
"current".

-Bill