Re: [g-a-devel] Wayland Migration: Getting the Z-Order of Top-Level Windows

On 10/15/2013 11:41 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

I don't think atk_component_get_mdi_zorder is a good interface - its
clearly a case of 'too much information' - you don't need the z order at
all. What you need is just the 'component at the current pointer
location'. It'll be much better to ask just for the information you
need, instead of requesting a ton of frequently changing stacking
information, and then doing costly post-processing on the client-side to
find what you are actually after.

Giving this some more thought, it might be better still if we don't have
to ask at all. Could the toolkit emit some sort of "the mouse pointer is
over this widget" signal? If so, I think that would solve the problem
without requiring privileged API.

--joanie