Re: [g-a-devel] Provide a relevant Accessibility.

On 06/28/2013 04:52 PM, yoann b87 voila fr wrote:
Hi everybody,

This conversation is not recent but I think it is very important to provide a complete accessibility
solution in Gnome. The previous version which have good solutions are old. For my new laptop I need at
least a 3.6 kernel to recognize and use lots of devices. On this machine I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I
manually upgrade the kernel and I install gnome-session-fallback, but this is very instable. I tried the
same thing with Ubuntu 13.04 without updating the kernel (already 3.8) but this is also instable with
fallback session.

Per consequent only unity and Gnome shell are usable but not accessible for me.

I don't say this to criticize but I would like to participate more actively on this project. I haven't any
idea of the difficulty and complexity of implementing such project however when I have few time I would
like to help you.

What do you think about this ?

Yoann.

Yes I tried to set color options in the zoom dialog. This reverse colors of the entire display and allows
me to access for example nautilus and numerous Web pages with white or light background. The problem is
that with this option all the destop interface (top panel, left dock, launcher menu opened with super
key...) that are originally dark become bright with negative option. It is impossible to use an operating
system by changing permanently negative option each time I want to access menu.

I know many people who have the same difficulties. On gnome 2.x there is for instance the clearlooks theme
that propose a very simple and uniform color theme in term of background. So an additional full theme
available without installation can be resolve this difficulties without any impact on all other users.
this is simply an idea, not necessarily the bast solution... In all cases, accessibility not limits itself
to a set of assistive technologies. The system and interfaces must provide a minimum usability and respect
some constraints. And I think this is not incompatible with a system for not disabled people.

The main problem with themes are that they are hard to maintain. In the
past we had more than one accessibility related theme, and in the end we
had problems because they were outdated. That is the reason that right
now there is only one accessibility theme (HighContrast) as the one
removed could be achieved by using that theme and the zoom options. In
any case, I agree that the issue you mention is a problem. Right now I
see some options:

  a) Adding an option on the magnifier in order to only apply the effect
on a specific window
     Problem: would need a lot of micromanaging to the user
  b) Adding an option so the magnifier only affects the region below the
panel
     Problems:
       * It doesn't solve the problem if the user needs to modify the
appearence of the panel too (magnify it, change the colors, etc)
  c) Modify HighContrast theme, in order to be more uniform with the
background color

Am I missing some option?

Thanks for your feedback

BR