Re: [g-a-devel] new states for meter element

I'd say ARIA extension makes sense but I have a feeling that standard ways can be used here like changing the accessible description or using the live regions.
Thanks.
Alex.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:

On 12/19/2013 11:15 PM, Jason White wrote:
> Mario Sanchez Prada <mario prada samsung com> wrote:
>> From the point of view of the implementation, it should not be an issue to
>> expose those optimal, low and high values in WebKit (besides adding some
>> bits in WebCore’s a11y layer). The tricky thing will be of course getting
>> the textual representation of the value depending on the range it’s in. And
>> regarding to this, I personally think Joanie's first proposal (Bad, Better,
>> Best) is better than the second one (Bad, Good, Optimal), because anything
>> out of "Optimal" doesn't have to be necessarily "good".
> This is true. I also wonder whether ARIA attributes should be defined to
> provide localized names for these ranges depending on the needs of the
> application. METER already supports labels, which do not fulfill this need.
> Nor does the TITLE attribute, which the spec suggests can be used to indicate
> the unit of measure.

Hmm, taking into account that meter is intended to be an HTML element,
does make sense to use ARIA attributes to provide that info? ARIA was
created in order to add the possibility to expose accessibility
information on dynamic components, like those written on _javascript_, as
were for nature custom. In this case we have an HTML element, I think
that all the needed information related with it should be included on
his definition, instead of suggesting add-ons with ARIA.

BR

--
----
Alejandro Piñeiro