[g-a-devel] FireFox and LibreOffice: A11y always on, except when it isn't (?).

Background: I was setting up a GNOME 3.6.1 demo machine, and was in the process of verifying that the interim magnifier focus tracker was working properly, when I came across the following.

Focus tracking did *not* function as expected in FireFox nor LibreOffice. Tracking the keyboard focus did not occur with these applications. By comparison, gnome-shell widgets (e.g., menus, task switcher) all worked as expected in terms of focus tracking.

Another clue: I went on to check the Orca set up, launching it, and later quitting.

Then I went back to look further into the focus tracking issues with FireFox and LibreOffice. To my surprise focus tracking now worked with these apps as well.

We discussed this at last week's gnome-a11y meeting, noting that in gnome 3.6 a11y is "always on". Furthermore, gnome-shell respects that. We hypothesized that FF and LO do not, and require some further push to engage accessibility.

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
             - J. D. Klaun -