Re: [g-a-devel] GNOME3

>The old way was a simple panel icon she could click on to bring up
>GMail, and another to bring up the keyboard. I just upgraded my system
>to Fedora 15. I know that puts me behind, but as I always encounter
>problems with each new version, I tend to procrastinate. As I said,
>I am disabled as well.

Hi Smitten !

Let's see if my suggestions helps you a bit ;-)

>Despite the fixes I made, there are still problems. GNOME3 forces her
>to click

> on "Activities" to bring up a menu,

You don't have to click in "Activities", it is enough to put the mouse
pointer in the left-upper corner (we call it "hot corner").
Alternatively you can use the "windows" key.

In fact, the GNOME design team has put special care to ensure that it
can be used by those who have a low level of pointer control, either
because they are not well practised at using pointing devices or our
software, because they might not have good control over the hand and
fingers, or because they are using low quality hardware. The design team
keeps working on this, and for example, in the latest stable release,
GNOME 3.2, windows are easier to grab the edge of a window in order to
resize it. Take into account that having a universal design is not an
easy task, but I think they are in the good direction (apart from the
gnome-shell, applications are being re-designed to be easier to use).

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet (I think it is very useful :-) )
http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/on-pointer-control/

>to which she has to navigate, only to click on another menu, to which,
>after positioning her mouse to click again, she has to navigate through
>a bunch of icons, to click on the program she wishes to access.  Gods.
>That's just bordering on cruelty. She's limited to the icons I can
>save to the desktop.
>
>I am not nearly as disabled as she, but I still have my problems. I
>often position my mouse, only to have my hand twitch as I try to click
>and end up opening an entirely unintended program. It's frustrating. I
>liked the old way better where everything was grouped together. I would
>still make mistakes, but it didn't take so long to go through the
>process again.

Well, I think the most of the time users only need to access to limited
set of applications. Instead of going to the Applications view, I think
is more sensible to configure the dash with your favorite applications
(take a look to the cheat sheet link). I understan from your email you
are doing that. Also you can define keyboard shortcuts to open
applications in System settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts

I personally nearly never need to go to the Applications menu. I usually
only use the apps from the my dash, and when I need another apps I only
have to type a couple of letters in the search box

And about the Applications view, the applications are grouped like in
the old way (in fact it is the same group order) and the icons are much
higher than before.

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin