Re: [g-a-devel] GNOME Launches Campaign for Accessibility

Hi, Chris.  One of the reasons I often make an ass of myself, other
than having no clue about human emotions, is I write emails like this
after drinking on Friday night.  So...

I agree that the Gnome Foundation gives a11y high priority.  My main
issues in the past have been that the GTK+ team gives it zero
priority, at least when a bug is reported by the community.  Even
though we had excellent programmers committed to a11y, we could not
move forward because they didn't have the authority to fix the code.
Joanmarie has said that Benjamen is very active in the GTK code base
committing a11y related patches.  If there is a committed individual
working on the hardest a11y issues, I'm willing to wait and see if
there is improvement.

In my opinion, the separation of responsibilities is the main reason
for lack of a11y progress in GTK.  If any of the wonderful people
working on a11y  that we are both fans of were able to commit patches
to GTK, the issues would have been resolved years ago.

Because several e-mails on this topic have attacked my emotional
response to my patch to pixmap objects being rejected, I want to
explain my philosophy about GUI objects and a11y.  If an object is
going to be displayed on the screen, I feel extremely strongly that
the programmer using that object should have the opportunity to attach
a text description to that object.  Not only does pixmap not allow
this, but GTK uses pixmap objects in all lists, tables, and tree
displays, which is why no icon in any list, table, or tree in any
single GTK program says anything other than "icon".  Any programmer
who takes the time to examine how GTK programs are typically written
can come to any conclusion other than pixmap objects are a fundamental
core object, used just about everywhere, and that the programmers
using them are not to blame for not making accessible descriptions.
GTK doesn't allow it.

This is why the icons on the Qt version of Unity talk.  They rock.  Is
there any way to get through to the GTK team that displayed objects
need an opportunity for accessible descriptions?

Bill