Re: [g-a-devel] GTK and ATK

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:
> On 05/11/2011 02:57 PM, Benjamin Otte wrote:
>
> Well most of the paragraphs were already answered by Brian, but I would like
> to add a comment here.What concerns me a lot is that there is only very few
> applications
>
>> that actually make use of this huge abstraction layer that is AT-SPI.
>> I'm often thinking that we would have less code to maintain if we
>> indeed wrote Orca code once for every toolkit we target Orca at
>> instead of having to maintain a big ATK interface for every toolkit.
>> (And the same for the other few applications that have accessibility
>> requirements.) But of course I have no idea if that is actually true,
>
> Well, there are some issues with this proposal:
>  * It is true that right now the AT more mature and maintained is Orca, but
> we still have other AT tools, like Caribou, Dasher (if it migrates to
> libatspi), MouseTrap/OpenGazer, Gnome Shell magnifier (Joseph is planning to
> use some AT-SPI features).

One thing that would be very instructive would be to make a little
table to show which of these technologies use/need what parts of the
atk interfaces. I don't think the magnifier needs any really, for
example. And for the others, probably only orca needs text and
navigation support. dasher and caribou are much closer to input
methods and could probably get away with just using im interfaces.