Re: [g-a-devel] Possible UI freeze break: acccessibility menu in panel

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:31 PM, William Jon McCann
> <william jon mccann gmail com> wrote:
>
>> Bottom line: universal access in the shell is a 3.2 feature - provided
>> the work gets done to meet our minimum requirements of stability,
>> performance, and design.
>
> Also, this is the first time I ever hear universal access being
> demoted to a 3.2 feature. Another unilateral decision or yours ?

I'll probably regret acknowledging that question.  But there are
people on the cc list that deserve a response.

No, it was agreed by many that we were not in a position where we can
turn on a11y by default for 3.0.  There is hopefully no debate at all
over that.  You can't have *Universal* Access without it.  I am
committed to providing true Universal Access.  That has been my goal
from the start.

It was made very clear that Orca and Caribou while very cool
technologies, don't currently fit into the GNOME 3.0 design.  We had a
long BoF about this at GNOME Summit this fall.  We've discussed it on
DDL multiple times.  Even as far back as June 2010
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2010-June/msg00073.html
.

Removing this menu when the same functionality can be accessed in the
System Settings is hardly a loss considering this menu is brand new,
didn't appear in GNOME 2, and is a subset of the functionality in the
System Settings.  Furthermore, any critical functionality in this menu
would be available through hotkeys or other means.

Once again, the bottom line is that 3.0 won't have universal access in
the shell.  That is a fact, not my opinion.  We can't slap in older
technologies and pretend that we do.

And do I think the release team should honor our design intentions?  Absolutely.

Enjoy your day,
Jon