Re: [g-a-devel] proposing ATK/AT-SPI API additions

Hi Peter,

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Peter Korn wrote:

From my own experience I haven't see any AT actually need these setter APIs. Not all apps want to let users move windows around (e.g. MessageBox style windows/dialogs).

If an app doesn't want to let a user move a window, then this can be handled by the ATK implementor. GAIL tries to handle this by only moving/resizing a widget if gtk_widget_is_toplevel returns TRUE for the widget corresponding to the ATK object. If GAIL allows a widget to be resized through ATK where it cannot be resized through normal user interaction, then this could be considered a bug in GAIL that should be fixed there, so I don't see this as a reason not to expose these ATK functions over AT-SPI.

Exposing API for doing things programmatically that otherwise cannot be done through the UI is treacherous ground - something we need a very compelling accessibility reason to do.

Supporting a macro package doesn't pass that bar for me.

I am going to withdraw that part of the proposal at least for now, since several people have expressed concerns about it and so it seems questionable/unclear that it belongs in the APIs.

Thanks,
-Mike