Re: [g-a-devel] High Contrast and High Contrast Inverse Themes (gnome-themes-standard)

Hi,

As many of you know, I have been working on the High Contrast and High Contrast Inverse themes this summer. I am writing to ask how you would like to implement the changes I have made to the theme.

Here are the three questions that I have:

(1) In GNOME 2, the High Contrast Inverse theme relied on a script that pulled High Contrast Icons and re-colored them to complete the Inverse set. This is no longer the case in GNOME 3. I pinged Matthias Clasen about this yesterday, and it seems that providing High Contrast Inverse icons within the gnome-themes-standard would be the best way to provide those icons now. Does this make sense to everyone, or is there a plan to provide a new script to invert the High Contrast icons (as we did in GNOME 2)? I am in the process of re-coloring these, and can provide them if this is the option that makes the most sense.

(2) The Design team has suggested that some of the icons  that are missing from High Contrast theme be replaced with icons from the gnome-icon-themes-symbolic set. An occupational therapist who works with Joseph Scheuhammer evaluated the Symbolic icons and found that they met accessibility standards. I would like to provide these. However these need to be either:

    (a) be recolored by hand and provided within the High Contrast and High Contrast Inverse sets (which I can do)

or

    (b) a script would need to be provided that recolors them so that they can be used in the sets.

Given that resources are limited, I would like to know which of these options is feasible. Having the scripts would make maintaining the sets more manageable and might be the best long term solution, and I am willing to help with this in whatever way I can. Re-coloring by hand would provide the icons, but would make the set more difficult to maintain in the long term (from what I understand). Again, I can do this if it is the best solution. I am asking because I would like to provide a complete icon set to users and want to know what would make things easiest for both the developers and the designers, so we can avoid issues in the future.

(3) I have designed icons do not exist in gnome-icon-themes-symbolic or the High Contrast and High Contrast Inverse sets. These icons complete the set so that High Contrast and High Contrast Inverse has the same coverage as gnome-icon-themes (including the gtk icons). Again, I can provide these either in gnome-themes-standard by recoloring them, or they can be provided through gnome-icon theme-symbolic but would require the script that I mention in question (2).

Guidance as to the best solution to these issues would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any portion of this email is unclear.

Sincerely,
Meg Ford
OPW Intern, Summer 2011