Re: [g-a-devel] At-spi over dbus performance.

From: Luke Yelavich <themuso ubuntu com>

> Hi all
> I tested at-spi via dbus a couple of days ago, and can certainly notice the performance difference with some things, and not so much with others. The one area I particularly notice a difference is when reading the pidgin buddy list with orca. Reading down the buddy list takes a while to speak an individual item, say half a second. This gets progressively longer as I get further down the list.
>
> I am wondering whether there is any code being worked on outside the main at-spi2 git trees to address performance. The Ubuntu desktop team would really like to switch to using at-spi over dbus for Natty, but performance is one area where we feel needs improvement if we are to make that choice. The Ubuntu desktop team may be able to provide extra help in solving performance issues in the future.

Mike Gorse is working on at-spi2 performance, like caching on pyatspi,
and moving somethings from python to C. He have more details.

> I notice on the at-spi dbus migration page that nothing specific is mentioned about performance. What has been considered to improve things? Perhaps I can let the Ubuntu desktop team know what is being considered, and better ideas could be put forth.

Well, I guess that if it is not mentioned because is because this page
is just about the migration and how you can install both at the same
time, but it is strange that this is not mentioned, do you have the
link?

Anyway, JFYI, right now, as at-spi2 works fine now (no crashes), the
current main problem on at-spi2, and severely discussed on the lists
and the hackfest, is the *performance*.

If you take a look to our current GNOME 3 page [1]. Performance is
mentioned as an issue on most of his subcomponents
(at-spi2-registryd[2], pyatspi2 [3], atk-bridge [4]). It is also
mentioned as a high priority task on the linux foundation page [5].

About migrating to dbus on Ubuntu, as we talked several times on the
weekly meeting, we are in a vicious circle. In order to mature at-spi2
we would require user and distribution feedback, but distributions
would not ship at-spi2 until it is mature enough ...

So, one of the main questions related to at-spi2 is, 'it is at-spi2
mature enough'. I bet that this is the most repeated question in the
weekly meeting.

BR

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GNOME3
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GNOME3#at-spi2-registryd_.28D-Bus.29