Re: [g-a-devel] Speech-dispatcher/orca integration specification, first draft.

Luke Yelavich writes:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:58:26PM EST, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Also don't forget that PulseAudio's primary developer doesn't recommend running PulseAudio system wide, except for special circumstances like embedded devices wishing to offer PulseAudio's audio networking features. In any case, Ubuntu will be configured to run speech-dispatcher and pulseaudio in the user's session, however you will be free to change this should you wish to do so.

I engaged him on this point on one of the Fedora lists. Turns out the
rationale for this point his highly specious.

He claims there's a security concern in that a shared display
enviornment might otherwise allow the other user to gain control of the
microphone and listen in on a conversation sureptitiously.

As I said, it's specious. Listen in on a shared display? How common is
the shared display? And, when would it not be in the same room? Probably
five feet away?

I warrant their was little, or at best highly inadequate use case
gathering before pulseaudio went into development.

There are also serious issues with pulseaudio on the console that make
it simply inappropriate for use as things stand today. Start to play
some wav file, then switch consoles. Your audio playing stops until you
return to the console where you launched the play command--at which time
it resumes precisely where it was when you left that console. This is
also inappropriate behavior and further evidence of insufficient use
cases before development.

I'm not convinced we can rely exclusively on pulseaudio. For one thing,
it wouldn't also support non Linux environments like Solaris that still
use oss.

Janina