[g-a-devel] click menu item: what events best capture?

Greetings,

My goal is to use at-spi to capture the menu item the user selects, either with the mouse or the keyboard.  My application is listening for a variety of events, watching what the user does.  When the user clicks on a menu at the top of an application, i.e., one of: File Edit View ..., a drop-down menu appears.  The user can navigate in this menu or cause other sub-menus to pop up just by hovering the mouse or pressing arrow keys.  Eventually the user clicks a menu item or presses "Enter" on a menu item.  No single event for which I'm listening delivers these two pieces of data:

1. the user has selected a menu item
2. which menu item was selected?

I do get a focus event for the menu item followed soon thereafter by a mouse button press/release if the mouse is being used.  I get the same focus event when the keyboard is being used to navigate.  When the keyboard is being used, is there an event that fires when the user hits the Enter key to select a menu item?

Does anyone know of a good set of events and the sequence of delivery for menu selection?

Thanks.

-Sam