Re: [g-a-devel] Accessible cross-platform toolkit?

I'm surprised to hear these things about XUL.

Being one of the Firefox developers who made XUL accessible, I can definitely say that making XUL accessible was always very high priority. Which bugs are reported but getting ignored?

Seriously, I want to know so we can work on them. Please email a list of bugs to me.

XUL is 10 years old now, and a ton of work went into making it accessible. FWIW we have the XUL accessibility docs here: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Accessible_XUL_Authoring_Guidelines

- Aaron

Milan Zamazal wrote:
Having written one XUL application targeted specifically on blind users,
I wouldn't recommend XUL for writing accessible applications unless one
can't find anything better.  Although XUL is basically accessible, there
are minor annoyances which may make doing some things difficult to
impossible.

The very first problem is that there is little real interest of
supporting XUL in the accessibility infrastructure.  Firefox and Orca
developers naturally focus on HTML accessibility and XUL is not such a
high priority area for them.  Current JAWS support for XUL in Firefox 3
is poor, making some things inaccessible (NVDA is better in this area).

Additionally, XUL is not that great development environment.  JavaScript
is handy for smaller tasks, but Java is IMHO much more suitable for
larger applications.  XUL doesn't handle widget tree switching very
well, apparently some things can't be managed right after they are
created thus making certain actions tricky and complicated.  Developer
documentation is far from perfect (e.g. in comparison with Java
documentation).  As for accessibility related items, there are sometimes
problems with keyboard navigation, focus handling is still somewhat
mystery to me, there is no Firefox and/or screen reader support for some
important concepts like table navigation, reporting statusbar changes or
character reading.  Overall our XUL application works, but not
perfectly, it's far from normally usable with JAWS and I was forced to
use some ugly tricks, not speaking about time spent on experiments,
googling and reporting.

I agree that wxWindows is not really accessible.  We've rejected it very
soon for that reason.  I've got no experience with Java accessibility so
I can't compare it with XUL.  One promising area, depending on the kind
of application, may be HTML+ARIA.  There are some widget toolkits based
on this, it's backed up by a W3C standard and it is likely to be well
supported at least in Firefox and Orca (better than XUL is).  I'm just
not sure about smooth interaction of HTML and JavaScript in comparison
to XUL, namely about global key bindings and global focus handling, I
have still to investigate how those things work.  Finally, there is Qt.
It's accessible on Windows and it should be accessible on Linux but
AFAIK it doesn't work with Orca at all.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal