Re: [g-a-devel] How to imlement ARIA's owns and hasparent in ATK (which relations)

Aaron Leventhal wrote:
We need to support the owns=[idrefs] relation, as well as hasparent=[idref].
They are basically the same, but owns allows you do create the definition on the owner vs. hasparent on what's owned. Owns can have more than 1 item, hasparent can contain only 1 ID. It's probable that hasparent will be removed before ARIA becomes final.

Which ever is used, the user agent can expose both sides of the relationship via AT-SPI and IA2.

We need to figure out which AT-SPI relations we should use for each. Here are the possibilities:

RELATION_MEMBER_OF
RELATION_NODE_CHILD_OF
RELATION_SUBWINDOW_OF
RELATION_EMBEDS
RELATION_EMBEDDED_BY
RELATION_POPUP_FOR
RELATION_PARENT_WINDOW_OF

Definitions of owns and haspopup here:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/adaptable/

I don't have a login for this. But I did find this definition of the owns relation: 'The owns property defines an object as a parent of another document element, however the child does not appear directly in the subtree of the owner."
(http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-state/)

This definition makes is sound like an ancestor-of kind of relation but I'd like clarity here. Is there an implied containment? Or an implied "within subtree" (if you know what I mean)?

Here is my attempt at a deductive approach based on this interpretation of "owns" and having re-read the at-spi docs (and after a couple of glasses of wine):

RELATION_MEMBER_OF
 * I don't understand the at-spi defintion of this relation clearly.
RELATION_NODE_CHILD_OF
* possibly
RELATION_SUBWINDOW_OF
* possibly but i don't like that it has "window" in the name... could be confusing
RELATION_EMBEDS
* cross process definition doesn't fit.
RELATION_EMBEDDED_BY
* ditto
RELATION_POPUP_FOR
* popup is a subtype of "owns" correct? if so this doesn't seem to capture all of "owns"
RELATION_PARENT_WINDOW_OF
* ditto comment to subwindow_of relation

So I'd lean towards child_of but there is no reciprocal parent_of?

What about RELATION_EXTENDED?

Let's hear from the guru... Bill?

Definitions of AT-SPI relations here:
http://www.gnome.org/~billh/at-spi-idl/html/namespaceAccessibility.html#a215