Re: [g-a-devel] Name and Text of Accessible

Marcin Lyko wrote:
Hi all!

I'm implemanting ATK for some new Gtk objects and I wonder if name of
Accessible objects for some Gtk objects, which contain some text, should
always contain the same text as Text object of the Accessible object and
vice versa.
No; in general the purpose of the accessible 'name' property is not the same as the onscreen text. Sometimes/often it is, but just as frequently it is not. For instance, a text entry field might be called "username entry" but AtkText interface would return the actual onscreen text (which might be empty). AtkText should report exactly what is currently rendered as glyphs to the screen, whereas accessible-name is just a human-readable string appropriate to present to the end user as a "name" for the GUI control.

Note also that there is an accessible "description" property, which by default is the same as the tooltip text (if present).

Bill
Can somebody tell me what it depends on and when Text object
should differ from the name of the Accessible object?

Thanks for any help.

BR,
Marcin