[g-a-devel] Exposing document selection

Here is the current plan for exposing selection in documents -- please let me know if there is a better way:

1. Any object which has any part in the document selection will have STATE_SELECTED, which will allow the collection interface to be used to get all the currently selected nodes. 2. We will use the AccessibleText interface to expose selection via getNSelections and getSelection for each container in the document which has text. The document itself is currently also one such container, which supports AccessibleText. 3. Any accessible node which has any descendant even partially selected will be considered selected.

Therefore, if the AT wants to know the entire selection, it can start from the document and drill down. Since any child object in a selection range that reports itself as selected may be only partially selected, the AT will need to recursively QI that child to nsIAccessibleText to get further information about what is selected within it.

For performance reasons it would be useful to have a way to say, this accessible node is completely selected, there is no need to drill down to look if it's partial or not. However, I don't know of a way to do that currently.

- Aaron