Re: [g-a-devel] x3270 terminal emulator + accessibility

Hi Pedro:

It's great to have you on board, welcome!

One thing you might want to look at closely is that we are in the process of adding a new interface to AT-SPI/ATK, specifically designed to help assistive technologies interface better with virtual terminals. This is the "Terminal" interface, and it's described in some draft documentation at:

http://gnome.org/~billh/at-spi-new-idl/html/html/interfaceAccessibility_1_1Terminal.html

The plan is to create an AtkTerminal interface that maps directly to AT-SPI's proposed Accessibility::Terminal interface, so your new x3270 emulator would need to implement this interface (AtkTerminal). The current plan calls for making this new interface available in the gnome-2.16 time frame, that is, in about 6 months.

Best regards,

Bill

Pedro de Medeiros wrote:

Hello,

I am currently studying the possibility of making the x3270 terminal
emulator ( http://x3270.bgp.nu/ ) gnopernicus-aware. I believe this is
possible implementing the atk interface inside the x3270 application.

On the other hand, there is more to accessibility than just making
your applications talk. x3270 was not planned to use these
technologies, while GNOME apps inherit them without much trouble
(high-contrast themes, gnopernicus). But to do that, a interface
rewrite of the 3270 terminal for GNOME is required.

I know I should not take this task lightly, so I am looking for a head
start. Is there such an effort already in progress? If I try to use
libvte, I think it will need some hacking to use sockets, and probably
some more to make it more responsive with gnopernicus (at least, this
seems to be the case when I use gnome-terminal with gnopernicus).

Cheers.
--
Pedro de Medeiros - Ciência da Computação - Universidade de Brasília
Email: pedro medeiros gmail com - Home Page: http://www.nonseq.net