Re: [g-a-devel] Standardization and Interoperability Statement of Intent

Hi Olaf,

I've a couple of quick points re: your message...

The intention of KDE is clearly to move AT-SPI onto D-BUS. GNOME might then either choose to also move to DBUS by reimplementing ATK and the Java Accessibility API, or to help us write a bridge between the two variants of AT-SPI instead.

At the FSG Accessibility meeting in Hawaii last January, we discussed possible obstacles to a DBUS approach, and the only objection left was that it is currently not in wide enough use to know how stable it is. My impression using older versions of AT-SPI was that it was also not really stable, but I don't know whether this was a problem with the RPC or with the assistive technologies. Anyway, Bill and Peter assured me that the vast majority of these problem have been fixed in recent months.

Many problems have been fixed, and things are a lot more stable. But I am not ready to say "the vast majority" have been fixed.

As far as DBUS obstacles... I don't want to try to speak for Bill here. For me, I want to see an implementation working in DBUS (even if just a prototype) before commiting to it. CORBA is not without its shortcomings, and DBUS is a rising star. But given all the many things we still need to do, moving away from CORBA and to DBUS right now doesn't feel like a wise investment of time. However, if others want to work on that now and can clearly demonstrate that the potential problems with DBUS for AT-SPI are solved, then GREAT!

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team