Re: [g-a-devel] Standardization and Interoperability Statement of Intent

Hi!

[Aditya Pandey]
> This is a welcome statement of intent. But it leaves doubts on what exactly
> is the roadmap (implementation), as in bonobo is either dead or dying, so
> what happens to the implementation...is the accessibility code being
> changed for D-BUS.

The intention of KDE is clearly to move AT-SPI onto D-BUS. GNOME might then
either choose to also move to DBUS by reimplementing ATK and the Java
Accessibility API, or to help us write a bridge between the two variants of
AT-SPI instead.

At the FSG Accessibility meeting in Hawaii last January, we discussed possible
obstacles to a DBUS approach, and the only objection left was that it is
currently not in wide enough use to know how stable it is. My impression
using older versions of AT-SPI was that it was also not really stable, but I
don't know whether this was a problem with the RPC or with the assistive
technologies. Anyway, Bill and Peter assured me that the vast majority of
these problem have been fixed in recent months.

Other mentioned points were network trancparency (possible with DBUS, but I
don't know of any uses of it yet) and reference counting (necessary for CORBA
only; it can be emulated in the DBUS bindings and obsoleted at a later
point).

Olaf