Re: [g-a-devel] gnome-mag question: what is done in magnifier_check_set_struts

Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diogenes wrote:

Hi Bill,

Can you explain me what is done in the function magnifier_check_set_struts, especially the part that involves Atoms (that is the central part of this function). I search about it, but didn't find nothing that can clarify what is being done there.

The magnifier is setting the X "strut" and "partial strut" properties, by which it is attempting to reserve space on the screen. This happens only in 'split screen' magnification modes, where the magnified area must share the screen with other apps.

By setting these properties, the magnifier can be used with applications' "maximize" window manager button, so that the application window takes up all of the "available" screen area without overlapping the magnifier.

If we are using COMPOSITE, then this is not needed, since with COMPOSITE the magnifier can "see under" the magnified area and therefore it doesn't have to have a dedicated part of the screen for ite exclusive use.

regards

Bill

One more question about this part of code: why the TODO in the beginning of the function, why we don't do this if we are using composite?

Thanks,
Carlos.