Re: [g-a-devel] Questions about the gnome-mag design

(sorry for replying to myself - this is a clarification)
Bill Haneman wrote:...

Also, there are situations where the magnifier service may need to run on a different host from the client. For instance, if you are running a remote application, you don't really want the magnifier to run remotely as well, because of the much larger amount of X traffic and the CPU requirements of the magnification service. CORBA allows this at least in theory (although our current 'bonobo-activation' mechanism does not recognize remote servers).

By this I mean that "bonobo-activation-server" doesn't report remote magnification services to a client which is requesting an instance of gnome-mag. However, gnome-mag should work fine with remote _X servers_ as far as I know - at least, I have used this feature in the past. (Carlos, did you get this working on your system? Maybe a bug somewhere?)

If we can get the bonobo-activation-server to return the CORBA object ID of a remote gnome-mag service (or hack some other mechanism for getting the object ID), then a remote client (for instance, a remote instance of gnopernicus) can talk to a local gnome-mag service through the bonobo/CORBA IPC interface.

Bill

This sort of case is probably more common in some corporate environments, but we are not sure just how important it will be in the future.