[g-a-devel] Re: AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

Hi,

Kenny Hitt <kenny hittsjunk net> wrote:
> > - Focus leaving should be reported as well: else gnopernicus for
> >   instance would keep showing the last accessible widget's content while
> >   non-accessible windows are active. In that case, gnopernicus would
> >   then be able to show it can't access the non-accessible window (maybe
> >   at least show its title).
>
> That already happens. The way I realize I have started an app that
> isn't accessable is no speech from Gnopernicus. Using alt-tab to cycle
> through windows will announce the title of the window containing the non
> accessable app.  Using this, it's easy to switch back to the window and
> close the app using alt-f4.

That's quite painy.

And one can't assume that every application running on X-windows will
use at-spi to provide its braille output: it may directly provide it to
BrlAPI, in which case gnopernicus needs to know when to give braille
access back to other BrlAPI applications.

> >   It would also permit to launch several at-spi readers: brltty for
> >   instance now has an at-spi driver so as to be able to read xterms. But
> >   it needs to know exactly when the focus is on a terminal widget, in
> >   order to produce display only when needed.

By 'xterms', I meant gnome-terminal for instance. Other xterms should be
made at-spi accessible as well in some future.

> > - It would also be useful to be able to get widgets' X-window ID to
> >   better handle focus.

I mean, for at-spi screen reader, that would be a useful information to
better match at-spi representation of the running session and the actual
X-window windows tree.

> X-windows is usually the general name for the GUI on Unix systems.  If
> the widget isn't created using a tool kit that supports at-spi, there's
> not much that can be done.

Yes there is: it may directly provide its braille output to BrlAPI. But
this issue is more related to the first point I had: since gnopernicus
don't tell to BrlAPI which windows it takes care of, it should
explicitly leave braille display whenever the focus gets on a at-spi
inaccessible widget (but BrlAPI-accessible widget, so braille-accessible
in the end).

Regards,
Samuel