Re: [g-a-devel]Accessibility talk at linux.conf.au

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 16:16, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> For those who are interested, I have put the paper that will be in the
> conference proceedings up at
> http://www.gnome.org/~malcolm/a11y/paper.html and I can only hope I did
> not misrepresent things too much. In another universe I would be more
> organised and would have had time to ask somebody to review it first; in
> reality, I finished it off just before Christmas and the organisers
> needed it right then.

I was at the talk as well, and just had a few comments. I was glad that
you didn't demo Gnopernicus, because with a stock Fedora install,
festival is pretty broken.

My question to you (and I didn't want to put you in a spot yesterday) is
what's a good TTS system to use? There's DECTalk (USD$50), there's
ViaVoice (used to be free; costs money now; Mark the last time I checked
used this), and festival (not so good). There's flite/eflite, and how's
that?

I'm trying to get some users converted to Linux, and they're so
dependent on their JAWS. So, what's usable folk?

Thanks.
--
Colin Charles, byte aeon com my
http://www.bytebot.net/