Re: [g-a-devel] Finding if AT client is active

The real issue IMO is whether 'AT support' is turned on or not. This is what the gconf key, /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility is for. If this gconf key is set to "true", you should assume that assistive technologies are or may be listening, and your application should provide all necessary information under these conditions.

Because we have a 'real' API-based AT setup, we must rely on these api "contracts" for good behavior, so if the system says "AT support is ON", your application should honor that setting.

There is another API which can provide some information about running assistive technologies (the 'LoginHelper' API), but it is not guaranteed to tell you about all AT applications, just those which advertise their need for I/O services during user authentication (i.e. unlocking a screen lock, logging into a secure server, etc.). But this API doesn't tell you what kind of AT is running, it only tells you in broad strokes what kinds of system devices it needs access to (i.e. XServer, keyboard, pointing device, XInput devices, needs to post windows, etc.). I don't think that it would not be useful/appropriate to your situation.

regards,

- Bill

Samuel Thibault wrote:

Le mer 15 déc 2004 à 01:15:35 +0530, Ashu Sharma a tapoté sur son clavier :
Is it possible to find out programmatically if an AT client is
currently running on the system (by the same user?) (something similar
to SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETSCREENREADER) on Windows)?

There's a lot of initialization and processing that can be saved in my
program if there is no AT client to use that information.

Warning: the AT client may be launched after your program.

Regards,
Samuel