Re: [g-a-devel]compiling atk-1.4.0

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 20:25, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Mathias:
>
> You said that you 'don't have 2.2.1' on your system, but pkg-config is
> finding it.  Are you sure you don't have it?  I've seen this message
> before, but never heard of it being triggered without a newer glib being
> present, and pkgconfig had to get the version number from somewhere -
> it's not hard-wired into configure.in.

I agree with Bill (sort of) here. The test compilation of a glib program
is finding a verison of glib that is 2.2.1. However, "officially"
pkg-config is only finding version 2.0.0.

Aside: I am in two minds about configure scripts using AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0.
I mean, I can read the comment in atk's configure.in script, but I am
not really sure it is necessary (you can get glib-genmarshal straight
from pkg-config, for example) and the macro is a bit too smart for its
own good. If pkg-config says "here are the settings needed to compile
GLib", then the macro should not run off and try to second-guess it. On
the other hand, if the builder has messed up their system enough to see
that error message, then maybe it is necessary to raise the red flag
rather than carry on. On balance, I guess it's a good thing, but it
looks ugly.

> Are you trying to build atk-1.4.0 on its own?  The gnome-2.4 tarballs do
> require more up-to-date glib than 2.0.0 I believe.

If that is the case, then the atk tarball is a bit broken. It only
insists upon glib >= 2.0.0 (the 2.0.0 bit is in configure.in as
GLIB_REQUIRED_VERSION).

> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 13:41, BERTHELOT Mathias wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > When comiling (./configure) atk-1.4.0, I get the
> > following error
> > "
> > checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
> > *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.0.0,
> > but GLIB (2.2.1)
> > *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is
> > best
> > *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be
> > able to fix the error
> > *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment
> > variable, or by editing
> > *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig
> > if that is
> > *** required on your system.
> > *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment
> > variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> > *** to point to the correct configuration files
> > no
> > configure: error:
> > *** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest
> > version of
> > *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
> > If GLIB is installed
> > *** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the
> > location of the file
> > *** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH."
> >
> > I have checked the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and made it point
> > to the directory containing the glib-2.0.pc file.
> > I have no 2.2.1 version installed on my system, but
> > the 2.0.0 !!!!!!

Somewhere you do have at least a .so file for version 2.2.1. It is being
compiled against. :-(

One way to just ignore this error message and see if things straighten
themselves out is to pass --disable-glibtest to the configure script.
However, from that point on you are working on the high wire without a
net, since you may be building against mismatched eader and library
files.

If you want to diagnose this further, what is $LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to?
Also, what distribution are you running (if Linux, or are you running
Solaris or some BSD-variant, or ...)? How are you trying to build GNOME
(from CVS via some build scripts, using garnome, from tarballs you build
yourself, ...)?

All problems are solvable, we just need enough information.

Cheers,
Malcolm