Re: [g-a-devel]gnopernicus and window switching

Hi Padraig/all:

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 09:24, padraig o'briain wrote:
> I am looking at bug 120025, trying to get feedback from gnopernicus when
> using Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Tab to switch windows.
>
> I have added code to metacity to assign the role of status-bar to the
> accessible object corresponding to the label which contains the window
> name,  I do not hear any speech from gnopernicus when I change the
> window name.
>
> Should gnopernicus speak the contents of a status-bar when its window is
> activated and when the contents of a status-bar is changed?

I certainly think this would be a good idea; at the moment gnopernicus
may only speak such text-changes if the status bar is focussed, but many
status bars do not or can not take focus.  Reporting status-bar changes
for the currently active window makes sense.

What you said is slightly different however; you suggested that the
necessary condition for reading status bar changes be that the status
bar's "window be activated".  This implies either the ACTIVE state
(which is currently only set on toplevel windows, associated with
window:activate) or window:activate events themselves, since I think
this is how gnopernicus keeps track of the currently-active window.
Gnopernicus expects only one active window at a time, I think.

However this may not be true; given things like splash screens and the
metacity window-switch window, do we want to allow multiple active
windows?  Or would it be better to emit window:activate/deactivate when
such borderless toplevel windows are posted?

Doing the latter for the general case could cause problems if the posted
frontmost window rejects focus (i.e. the focus stays on the previously
topmost window); the GOK main window would be an example of such a case.

- Bill